Thursday, August 25, 2016

Gnome Sweet Gnome


 Hello!  This is Joyce Shaulis with my second "Exploring my Backyard" themed blog project this month.  One of my favorite things to do is to go to garage sales.  I enjoy creating on recycled objects and giving new life to old things.  This project was a perfect chance to use one of my recent garage sales finds.  
  


 
 
This is what my original garage sale purchase looked like when I bought it.  It is a wooden box covered in a vintage style map and forest scene with a handle.  It can be used for storage or as a purse.  I had no preconceived idea in mind when I bought it, except I had thought I would probably be starting from scratch and painting over it.  You can use any type of box for your project, new or used. 
 
 
 
 
To begin with, I used Susan's adorable "What's Up Gnomey?" stamp set and mini POP ink in Mystery.  I stamped out two complete sets, plus additional stamps to complete the sides of the box.  I colored in the pieces with markers.  I made the figures different colors to give it more variety. 
 
 

 
 
Next, I cut out all pieces.  Using the Cocoa mini POP ink, I edged all pieces to add depth.  I also stained the edges of some mini fabric flowers with the Cocoa ink.
 
 
 
 
Next, I glued on all the cut out pieces with Decou-page with an old paintbrush.  I used white glue to add the tiny flowers. Be sure to use an xacto knife to cut apart any pieces that cross over the lid.
 
 
 
 
I had colored the gnome for the back side in different colorings then the front.  I glued all pieces with the gnome on the back with the Decou-page, and also glued mushrooms and flowers on the sides.
 
 
 

 
 
 
I stamped the verse with Mystery, colored in the background with markers, tore it out by hand, edged it in Cocoa, then added dots with a marker.  I stained some large and medium flowers with the Cocoa and glued them on to the top of the lid with white glue.
 
 
 
 
 
After all the pieces dried, I went over all the pieces with the Decou-Page.  Spray with Matte acrylic spray if desired for extra durability. 
 
 
 
 
 
I hope you enjoyed this project I created, and if you explore your backyard, you just might spot some Gnomes like I did!
 
 
Joyce Shaulis    Susan K. Weckesser Design Team Member
 
 
 
Susan K. Weckesser products:
     https://www.unitystampco.com/  What's Up Gnomey?
     https://www.clearsnap.com/  mini POP inks in Mystery and Cocoa
 
Other Products:
     https://Kuretakezig.us Zig memory systems pen
     https://decoart.com/  Decou-page matte. Americana matte acrylic spray
     white glue
     assorted fabric, paper, burlap flowers 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
    
     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would LOVE to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a message!
~Susan

ShareThis2

BrendaPInnickColorCafe