Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Sweet Altered Mirror Art

Hello Everyone and Happy, Happy month of March!  I am loving the month of March here in my new home of Creston, BC as Spring has Sprung and it has arrived a full two months earlier than I used to experience in Cremona, Alberta - well just LOOK at my crocuses!
This month our design team theme is "Mixed Media Mania" where we get to showcase our interpretation of a mixed media project and Anything Goes!  I am excited to be sharing with you a piece of "altered art" I created from an inexpensive 8x8 inch framed mirror I purchased from Ikea for only $5.

Creating the background was an easy 3-step process:
1. Pick your favorite stencil and apply texture paste using a pallet knife.
2. Once paste has dried paint with a coat or two of thick Gesso.
3. Once Gesso has dried, add color... I used my Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze and Ranger Distress Stain and let the liquid color flow into the cracks and crevices... using a paper towel to dab away any excess... in this case - less is MORE!

Once the Background was done I had a blank canvas to enhance any way I liked and I fussy cut out all my favorite flowers from Susan K. Weckesser paper "Live in Color" and "Bouquet".  I applied these cutouts using Mod Podge and added one more coat of glossy Mod Podge over the entire project for protection and bit of shininess.

It now resides in my new bathroom along side of the clock I altered a few years ago and it adds just the right amount of bright and happy colour I need to start my day every morning... besides my reflection in the 4x4 inch mirror makes me look so SMALL! Grin
So I hope you enjoyed my Sweet Altered Mirror and I do hope it inspires you to use some of you stash to turn something ordinary into something EXTRA-ordinary!  And I would LOVE if came to visit me over at my blog to see more about that Clock!

Scrapbook Lynne Mizera
for the Susan K. Weckesser Design Team


Products used for this project:


Susan K. Weckesser Live in Color cardstock

Ikea wooden frame (8x8)

The Crafter's Workshop Mini Cell Theory stencil

Golden modelling paste

Ranger Distress Stain - Broken China

Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze - Blue Oasis & Emerald Cove

Plaid Mod Podge

Daler & Rowney Acrylic Gesso

1 comment:

I would LOVE to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a message!
~Susan

ShareThis2

BrendaPInnickColorCafe