Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mixed Media "Happiness" Canvas

Hi!  Susie here today having some fun with this month's theme...Mixed Media!  I decided to create a canvas incorporating lots of texture and some of my favorite quotes about Happiness!
For me, the beauty of mixed media is in the layering. I am a relative newbie when it comes to this art form and I get frustrated when I see a piece online and a list of products used but I can't figure out how they were used...so I am going to share lots of pictures to show you (most of) the steps in my process.  I also have a little surprise at the end of the post!
10x10 canvas was painted with yellow acrylic.  Modelling paste was added through the Houndstooth Stencil from Want2Scrap.


Live In Color paper was embossed using Spellbinders Cane Weave M-Bossabilities folder.  

Add gesso over seam from paper to canvas.  Using permanent ink, stamp text and image in upper right.
Add torn pieces of newsprint.  Add green ink over gesso.

Add dark yellow ink over raised modeling paste.
Add image from paper napkin on right.  Add tissue paper over newsprint to blur the text.
Ink over tissue paper, blending colors.
Print "Happiness" quotes on tissue paper.  Tear edges and pre-position quotes to test final arrangement.  Fussy cut large flower from Susan K. Weckesser's Live In Color paper.

I realized at this point that I needed to do something to make sure the newsprint did not show through when I added my quote, which was printed on tissue paper, at the top of the canvas.
Use a pencil to outline area that will be under the quote.
Use yellow acrylic paint to cover the area, leaving uneven borders.

Add quote...I used matte finish Mod Podge...then ink over top, blending colors.

Some finishing touches:  I used the 3 different stitch stamps from the Grandma's Needlepoint set to create a little more visual interest in the background.  On top of that, I layered a piece of Chickenwire Chipboard. I used a black pen to add an outline and detail to the flower before I added the text (printed on tissue paper) on top!

I love dimension and texture - and I love things to be inter-active!  On this canvas, I added an Action Wobble to the back of the flower.
 Here is the surprise I promised you - a short video showing you the Action Wobble in action!

It just makes me happy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today! 








Susie Bentz
Susan K. Weckesser Design Team Member
.

Susan K. Weckesser Products Used on Mixed Media Happiness Canvas:

Other Products:

2 comments:

  1. Super fun piece Susie! I love all the patterned layers you used to build your background, especially the cute little chicks. The pop of color from the flower is so fresh. Thanks for including the video of the Action Wobble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wobble flower!! These are such great additions to any project!!!
    Your canvas is absolutely lovely and I like how you really walked us through each step! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a message!
~Susan

ShareThis2

BrendaPInnickColorCafe